European Exchange Group
The PEOPIL medical negligence group aims to look at the European issues of today. Its objectives include the putting together of a framework for the exchange of information on issues of medical negligence and influencing European legislation to protect victims of medical negligence.
The PEOPIL medical negligence group organises Seminars to allow its members exchange information and views in the presence of legal and medical experts. By becoming a member of the PEOPIL medical negligence group Solicitors and Barristers can be further informed regarding the following medical issues:
- The legal framework of the patient/doctor relationship
- The duty to inform patients of all risks associated with medical treatments
- The various standards of care applicable in European countries
- The burden of proof required to establish causation and liability for medical negligence
- Various limitation periods that apply in European countries
- The right to access to medical records for patients
- How medical experts can be funded
Lauren Sutherland QC is Chair of the PEOPIL Medical Negligence European Exchange Group.
Lauren was called to the Scottish Bar in 1996 and became a QC in 2016. Prior to becoming a Barrister, she was a Solicitor in private practice specialising in personal injury, professional and clinical negligence.
Lauren is ranked in Chambers UK and the Legal 500 for Clinical Negligence. She has vast experience dealing with catastrophic injury claims including children with cerebral palsy.
Lauren has lectured extensively to lawyers and doctors alike on clinical negligence and personal injury claims. For many years she has taught consent to undergraduate dental and medical students.
If you would like to be a part of this group, if you are keen to develop the group further or require further information please contact email@example.com for more information.